This 1922 book, now available in PDF format, is invaluable. Download it, print it off for those times when your computer may not work or you may be without electricity. Prepare ahead of time! There are two sources for this 7.98 MB PDF book.
Rebuilding Lead-Acid Batteries 1922-Witte.pdf
Batteries and Primitive Survival
November 3, 2008
Table of Contents
- Knowledge from many sources including my own research and development have been brought together to show how to intelligently use battery storage technology in a long term primitive survival situation. Lead-Acid batteries for use as primary source storage and smaller rechargeable/non-rechargeables for portability will be viewed in many different ways for practicality during primitive survival. The way to read this book is to read chapter one then jump to areas of interest, realizing that the proper storage of the correct chosen batteries and the making of efficient chargers are ideally needed before the emergency times start. This book is designed to be a reference work and is dedicated to those who wish to survive the coming pole shift. (by Mikel)
- Chapter 1: Basic Battery Survival 101 (7 pages)
- This chapter gives an overview summery of the basics knowledge needed to start one into primitive survival using storage cells and batteries. The remaining chapters detail and answer the questions needed to help survive in a primitive environment for an extended time.
- Chapter 2: Long Term Battery Storage and Self Discharge Rates (12 pages)
- This chapter details how to prepare batteries for long term storage. What are the choices of batteries and how to store them for the long term. The manufactures recommendations are detailed. A description of what to do as you take them out of storage for the first time is also detailed.
- Chapter 3: Efficient Battery Chargers for Survival (20 pages)
- Most of the currently efficient commercial battery chargers that I have tested have a maximum efficiency of about 20-38% of source energy delivered to the destination battery. This means you could easily waste 3 to 5 times more energy than you end up with by charging a small recharged cell. As a result I recommend making your own twice as efficient charger for use in a primitive environment. This Chapter shows how to easily construct it.
- Chapter 4: Measuring State of Charge and over all Capacity (12 pages)
- Easy to construct circuits are described to measure over all capacity and to determine how much charge a battery has based on its open circuit resting voltage and/or the voltage across a given load resistor. A Digital Volt meter will be one of your most valuable tools.
- Chapter 5: Making Soldered Battery Packs (2 pages)
- Shows how to take NiMH and NiCD cells and use them to make a soldered battery pack. When wet conditions cause connection problems due to corrosion, use this technique to keep things going.
- Chapter 6: Types of Batteries with notes when to use them (13 pages)
- This gives an understanding of the basic characteristic of each type of Cell and when to use each type. It will help one chouse the correct battery for each need along with what to expect from each.
- Chapter 7: New Low Self-discharge NiMh cells (5 pages)
- The most recommend (cost effective) rechargeable battery type for practical portable power use in a survival situation is looked at in more detail.
- Chapter 8: Battery Sizes Types and History (11 pages)
- This background information is included for a deeper understanding of each of the battery types and their history of when they were invented.
- Chapter 9: Battery Basic Formulas and Chemistry (6 pages)
- This chapter can be used to review or to learn about the basic formulas when dealing with battery power and some of the chemistry involved.
- Chapter 10: Home Made Batteries (81 pages)
- This is a review of what can be used to make home made batteries. For those that are caught without any batteries this information should help.Rebuilding existing lead-acid batteries has a higher probability of success. However, as a last resort this chapter should bring one up to speed quickly as to what works and what doesn't work. One can start where others have left off.
- Chapter 11: Lead-Acid Batteries (102 pages)
- For the base camp or primary source of electrical storage the lead-Acid battery needs to be understood completely. Key voltages, sulfation, and how to rebuild and make repairs are explained.
Appendices (14 pages)
Battery Glossary of Terms (46 pages)
Offered by Mike.