From the Food Bible site.
- All forms of fungus growth must be avoided! All fungi & mushrooms. Beside being of Negligible food Value most are extremely dangerous & to date very little is known of them. One exception is the mushroom but as stated above unless you know them; leave them alone!
- After much research on it, the conclusion is that one should avoid whenever possible turning to mushrooms for emergency food. Mushrooms have very little general food value. So unless you are an expert, the incurred risks will be far out of proportion to the possible gain, since no single practical test is recognized unfortunately by which all poisonous mushrooms can be detected. We repeat! No single test short of eating it can distinguish between a safe & poisonous mushroom.